Saturday 26 November 2011

Trade-offs

"A decision without tradeoffs isn't a decision. The art of good decision making is looking forward to and celebrating the tradeoffs." (Seth Godin)

So, I've been doing some serious thinking, and I think next year would be a good time to stop. I need and I must do it, because I have to know that I can stop. I love what I do and my works constitutes my life in a large portion, but it's not all of me. It's part of who I am, and I want to still have a life when I'm not working because there's actually so many things beside work that matters. If I can stop and still feel that my life is still worth living even if I only sit and watch tele all day, then I'm fine. I can always pick up where I've left off, hit refresh button and get in motion.

I've done many decision making previously, but I think it's the first time that I made a decision based on a trade-off. (Well, actually, I normally listen to my heart, that's all.)  But saying goodbye to things you're passionate about is not easy, and I had to think about the trade-off, about what I actually will get out of this.

I must say that the biggest trade-off would probably be a peace of mind. The hardest thing to swallow is the disappointment after you learn that you buste your ass so people you care about can have a better life but then then they take you for granted or just don't care, or after you know that you can't rely on anyone. When I quit, I will not have this kind of crap, and I can focus on myself. I think it's valid. After five years, I think it's time for me to pay off my debts, re-organize my life so I can spend a gap year away from all these imbeciles.

God knows I deserve it.