Thursday 22 March 2012

People We Lost

"Friendship is a slow ripening fruit." (Aristotle)

It's hard to lose things. And it's hardest to lose people. But at some points in life it is unavoidable, either naturally or intentionally. 

I lost my dearest uncle when I was 22, after 5 years of fight with cancer. Although we all wanted to keep him alive as long as we (or he) could, we also knew that it was better for him to go. There was no more pain. For him, and for me, for all of us. I cried at every visit to the hospital, and when he's gone, I cried like there was no tomorrow, but then I knew I won't be crying again for him for the next 20 years. He's in a better place. 

I also realize that I am now in the verge of letting go some of my good friends because we have grown into someone different than we used to be and we also grow apart in the process. Our values, priorities, and experience change and that invisible thread that tied us together in the past slowly but surely unbinds. It's a sad thing, but it happens. At the end we only keep the very best of friends and the number would be a few, because this type of friendship is born, not made. It was written in our fate. With them, we are one soul dwelling in separate bodies.  

In any case, losing people is God's way to tell us that sometimes people are better off without each other. And God always has a way of replacing what we lose, and it's always with better things.