Monday 13 August 2012

Entourage

Some people enjoy a large circle of friends, without any really particular close friends who know them very well. Some people are more at ease with one or two people who know them inside out and more likely to have been and will be friends for life (like my mum, who has only 2 BFFs in her life, and my brother, who wedded his one and only BFF and they now raise four kids together). 

I just read a very touching blogpost by my violinist partner, Arya, who wrote about his best friend. He can be with a lot of people, and is very popular among his peers, but I think he only feels absolutely at home with the particular subject of his post. 

And me? I feel that I'm getting more and more reclusive as I age (now I think of myself like a piece of furniture). I'm basically shy and insecure and although I learn to be my own person among strangers and feel comfortable, in the long run I tend to stick to the same, very few friends who know me a lot, if not completely. Some of the people have even left the company, either intentionally nor unintentionally, leaving the circle even smaller. I used to fret, but the older I get, the more capable I am now of letting go. In some cases, it's just as natural as birth and death. People change, and they don't find you compatible anymore, or you change, and you find it harder and harder to seek common ground. 

So here's what I know for sure, from friends who come and go, and stay. 

www.piccsy.com