Friday 7 January 2011

Decluttering

How much there is in the world I do not want! (Socrates)

A large part of action in simplifying life lies in decluttering. 

My house mate in Paris was this tall French girl who, by nature, put everything within the reach of her height, and consequently by nature, put everything out of reach for me. The bathroom mirror hung a little bit above my forehead so, in a normal standing position, I could only see the top of my head, and with a little effort I could see myself eye to eye, but that's all. So I had to transport a folding chair to the bathroom if I wanted to see my whole face, but since the bathroom is only a bit bigger than an airplane lavatory, it was such a crowd to put it there. Also, since the bathroom is rather awkwardly situated, if I may say so, it was too much of an effort to see if my moisturizer was correctly applied. Luckily I don't wear lipstick, otherwise I would probably spend some money on pocket mirror, something I have never done in my entire life, so I won't go out looking like a clown. So for two weeks, I went out risking looking (only) like a mime if I happened put on too much sunscreen or anything else in my face. But guess what? I survived. 

On my second day in Paris, I discovered that the wifi in the apartment didn't work. (My boss later called it a racist internet connection, since it didn't want to have anything to do with my Asian computer.) It was rather a disaster. I had to send some files to Bandung, some people here were waiting for my instructions which I could only send in details through e-mail (I could, of course, text them till my thumb black and blue, but I was far too lazy to do that so I didn't even bother). I was fidgeting, for maybe...well, two days. Afterward, I was thinking, this is the vacation I've been waiting for, and I wasn't going to ruin it with this much ado about nothing. People are going to live even if I didn't send the files on time. So I let it pass. And they live.

Here's the thing. There are really so many things I can live without. I only think I can't because I'm so used to living with them. I was unconsciously decluttering when I was in Paris, and it felt really good. You're principally reduced to basic and lived with the essentials in life. There I realized that things that I missed are really things that I need. Like once when I was sitting in a bus, I remember my bestie. We were planning to go to Paris nine years from now when the kids grow up and we can spend some quality time as BFF again. Then I missed her. Then I thought, it would be good if she's sitting in front of me now, to laugh about things and at things. And then I realized that she's essential.

It doesn't mean that I threw away my mirror once I got back to Bandung or cut myself entirely from the virtual network (this intention's, however, been passing through my mind a dozen times). But it just put me back to perspective, gave me clearer view and simplify a lot of business. And it certainly help me made up my mind when I cleaned up my closet and threw away things that I've been keeping but not using. There were no hard feelings. 

Human beings are creatures of habit. It is very easy to be attached or addicted to something or someone.You only need to be accustomed to them, and slowly but sure, an idea is planted in your brain that you need them, that if you don't have them, your life will be reduced to a level so low. So it's good to declutter, once in a while. It will show you that in the end, everything you ever need is always the basic: a food to eat, a roof to shelter, a cloth to keep you warm, and some good reason to make you want to get off bed and make a living. 

To AJT: Sorry, darling, I don't think I will need that Blackberry yet. ;-)