Sunday 2 January 2011

Living Simple

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. (Leonardo DaVinci)

Yes, that’s my resolution for 2011. It’s probably my simplest resolution, since normally (when I had one in the past) it would be a list of minimum three things. And the first step is to reduce my time on the cyber space. 

This resolution was derived from the fact that it’s still the most simple things in life that matter most, and I believe, it will always be so. I realized that I really had spent too much time on unnecessary stuffs (most consuming was Facebook) when I realized that I could be doing something more valuable, even if it’s only sleep. Not to mention the trouble it brings (and it’s the trouble I brought myself when I decided to publicize my life to the whole wide world) that I became so tired of everything. So I decided to make it simple and use it as I first intended it to be: to publicize my work, not my private affairs. 

Last week I also spent some quality time with my nephew and niece. When I asked them to spend their short holiday with me, I was thinking of so many different things to do away from the computer and other electronic toys, two things my nephew (more than my niece) can’t live without. So it was annoying when the first thing he asked was a computer game to install in my laptop so he can play. I was confused. What happened with card games and dominos? What about snake and ladders and monopoly? I could always invent other mind-challenging games but all he seemed to care about was this stupid war strategy game. Sure, it’s good to train his strategic skills, but there are simply too many better ways to spend his time other than staring at my 12-inch-screen all day. It was a fight at first, he lost the battle in tears, but I hope that my saying him over and over that he will survive without video games will finally penetrate into his thick skull. 

Now, I myself must walk the talk. If he can continue breathing without his favorite pastime, I too, must be able to tear myself away from the computer and spend more time on important things and important people in my life. To my shame, I knew for sure that last year I spent more time online and less on my music, and I could have had better and longer sleeps were I able to resist the temptation of not browsing friend’s profiles or chatting with someone who lives 12,000 miles away. And not to mention the amount of money I would have saved for electricity or online-shopping. It was a big and stupid waste. 

Now, because it feels so damn good, I must be doing the right thing. And it’s a good start to this new year, my year. I won’t lose much, I guess. Now that I’ve come to think of it, the cyber world never really gives me inspiration or delivers me new wisdom to think and act better. It’s always real world with real people in it that present you with something valuable in life. And they’re the ones worthy of my time, they're that one baggage just enough to make this journey in life.  

Happy new year, dear readers! May your time be filled with people who you love and love you in return!