Monday 2 January 2012

On January First

www.piccsy.com

It's very strange. The beginning of a new year is always special, even if you don't make special celebration for it, like I did. (I went to bed with my niece at 10 pm last night, and woke up when my nephew and his friends, who happened to have a special celebration, were shouting with joy when the fireworks began to light the night sky of a small, industrial city called Karawang.) We have so many calendars, and so we have all kinds of New Years, but the one based on Christ's birth is always quite particular. I've never heard of people making a resolution on Chinese New Year, and as a Moslem, I have never stayed up to light a candle on Islamic New Year. So in a way, it's an international folly, a silly worldwide conspiracy to make 1 January a fresh start for everything. 

Of course, some people think it's just another day which happens to be a global public holiday, so they don't make any special commitments to the day that follows. Life's still more or less the same, except that you have to buy new calendars and try to remember to write new numbers on a note or correspondence. Some carried their bad habits forward, never realizing that they're bad, and live with the bliss of their own ignorance. Some make the change they feel necessary, or feel the necessity to change, but abandon the execution. Either way, we all go through day by day in the new year with our own baggage, and try to get to the end of it in one piece. 

For me personally, 2011 were quite exceptional, with so many emotional turbulent, and in a way it has given me an ample time and space to grow. I can say that I am grateful for everything that came my way, good or bad, and I am proud to say that I did have my way in almost everything.

All's well that ends well! I hope that all of you can say the same things and with that, I wish you all a wonderful time ahead!