Monday 8 August 2011

Overcoming Disappointment

“The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes.” (Thomas Hardy)

And that is why, disappointment is one of the emotions in this world that is quite difficult to overcome.

Naturally, disappointment happens when the reality does not meet expectation. When the expectation is great, then there are all emotions in it: hope, joy, desire, longing, excitement, anticipation... We invest a lot of time and energy in it. Then, poof. It disappears. 

My disappointment today is caused by a lie. Funny kind of lie, though. Some people lie to you outright. They twist the truth, the real story, and they tell you different things. Most of the time, it's things you want to hear, so you can be happy with this crafted reality. But some people don't tell that kind of lie. They lie by not saying the truth. They lie by not saying anything, when they should have said something. To me, it's just as bad. 

But hope is, as Martin Luther King said, infinite. Once healed, I will hope again, I know that. And I have my music. I always do, and it's always a good, comfortable place to turn to. Because I believe in Jimi Hendrix when he said that "Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music." And so, I will change my sorrow into song.