Thursday 29 September 2011

Regret

3 years ago, on Valentine's Day, a guy asked me to step out of my dinner table to dance with him. We were in the middle of group meal and I haven't been asked for a dance for quite some time, and I suddenly felt very scared. Moreover, that night I didn't feel particularly confident so in the end I just froze in my chair, gave him a smile but we never had that dance. 

I should have had that dance. Not only because I need to dance again, but also because the guy who asked me was really, really nice and super decent. He also happened to have a pair of lovely blue eyes and a smile that could melt all the ice in North Pole. 

Now I'm haunted. What and if are two simple words, but put together, the effect can be devastating. It's not just one night I lay awake in bed thinking to myself, "what if we...", and I know it's too much to hope that something might happen because something might eventually not happen, but I never know. And I will never know because I didn't have that dance. 

Regrets, regrets. I am happy to say that up to these days, I can sing "My Way" and really said the lines about it: I've had a few. But among them, this is one of it. And I should've known better. It's always the thing you did not do that you regret the most. Or did not say. And I'm just saying, sometimes it's good to say yes without thinking too much. Joyce loved it because it's the most positive word ever in the whole vocabulary of mankind, and a lot of time, you're making someone happy when you say it. A lot of times, saying yes means getting something done. And that is something you won't regret.