Saturday 25 June 2016

On Brexit

Brexit is such a disappointment, even for me who might not suffer direct consequences of the decision made by the majority of Brits. 

This guy in Tumblr voiced my sentiment exactly:

"Brexit is scary. And not just because Britain will be leaving the EU but because it once again shows the amount of support right wing parties all across Europe have gained in the past few years. How successful they are in spreading racism, fear and lies f**king terrifies me. And all that just because they think they are somehow superior to others. The way Europe (and the world) is headed right now is alarming."

Britain has been an object of my affection...probably since my days in the womb (as my mum is also a fan). I basically spent my entire life up reading books by English authors and this fondness never ceases. I started with a lot of Enid Blyton, switched to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie during late childhood, then spoiled my troublesome, tumultous, and romantic, adolescent years with mum's Mills and Boon, fell madly in love classic English writers and poets from Shakespeare, Shelley, Dickens, the Brontes, Austen (too many Victorian, yes, I know) and discovered the more modern ones such as Maugham and Durell. So the Brits are always in my life, fictionally. Then in real life I had three great years of working with a superawesome British boss who taught me most of what I know today about how to be professional and also some British musicians which I find among the smartest, funniest, most self-deprecating creatures on earth despite their talents. All so refreshing. So the country and the people are always a favourite. 

Britain in the past has also been known (at least from what I read and knew and it is possible that I know only very little) as the friendliest country in Europe towards strangers. It is not easily shaken by attacks (after the London bombing, people there were the quickest to recover) and as Muslim especially, the Brits have always seemed to be at ease with their presence in their land. The Brits I know also are the most open to differences and have showed respect in understanding cultures other than theirs (although sometimes I know it beats the living daylight out of them as to why some people are so "not English"....lol.)

So the first feeling I get from the Brexit is that somehow Britain can't even escape this wave of hatred that is now spread globally out of fear and prejudice and ignorance. It is scary. I am afraid this will raise more right wing movements all over Europe and then the world will be split into tiny little pieces again. I am especially anxious about the life of many Muslims refugees in Europe after this. I already read a lot of stories of how hard their life is even after leaving their conflicted homes, and I can't imagine the adversity they will face after this. 

I know that in the long run things will swing back to balance and probably my angst will prove to be nonsense. The world goes like a wheel, and I've noticed that many times, a downward movement will be countered by an upward movement in the other pole of the globe. But let's not wait. As individual I think there is not a more urgent moment to spread love and tolerance and kindness towards others who are not like us and to try to live with differences peacefully. Politics are strong, and evil, and it has done more damages in the past few years than goods, but I also know that individuals matter and can play a significant role in bringing change. There are so many examples. HONY writer alone can collect up to 2 million dollars for cancer patients in New York. There are hundreds of posts in Tumblr asking people to donate for someone they know who are severely ill, and people help. Just google. And the most important thing is you have to believe enough in humanity and the capacity and capability of human race to be kind to start to be kind yourself. Politics divide, but we will unite.

Now.