Monday 3 March 2014

Keeping It Private

I just published a private status on Facebook. It went viral. A few days prior to that, I wrote something highly personal and people commented and sent messages and asked, "What's the matter? Are you all right?" The person related to this status is now experiencing a cyber bullying. In a nice way, of course, but still he was bullied by being forced to share the story with everyone.

My stat up to today is 60+ likes and 40+ comments. It's insane. Some people can enjoy all those attention. For me, in a way I am touched by how so many people do care and are sending their best wishes, some even genuinely happy for my newly changed situation and send nice messages, but after a while, after some comments from people who hardly know me, saying how much they love seeing me changed into a loving girl, I begin to feel tremendously annoyed. Anyone who knows me really well will tell the world that I have so much love. I just don't like to share it to the world through something so artificial as social media. 

It's amazing how this thing works. There are people I know only on Facebook who regularly like my updates, there are people who shower me with a lot of affection online but are aloof and distance and cold offline, which is surprising but you learn something new about people, and then there are also people who live a thousand miles away but send their love on regular basis. You meet all sort of people and sometimes, like it or not, you're connected to them. 

The more hours I spend socializing on the web, the more I crave for a physical and real intimacy. Sure, when you can't see someone because they live in different continent, it's heart-warming to occassionally get a hello in your inbox and make you think that they think of you from time to time. But nothing ever beats the real joy of meeting someone in person, hear their voice, see their expression, touch their hands or give them a hug.

I've learned my lesson. From this day on, I'll keep my private things private. The world can judge me through what I publish or what I share as an all-about-business kinda girl, but I don't care. The most important people to me, whose thoughts I cherish and whose love I am grateful for each and every day, are those I will meet outside the cyberworld, and with whom I will share my real life and my stories.