Friday 4 December 2009

All in Good Time

Two days ago I had a special visitor from Jakarta. Dot is a Singaporean but now living in Jakarta and used to live in London for the past couple of years. She studied musicology and has been working in the same field as I am. In addition to that, she is a really nice woman with a smart, simple, sensible and organized mind and carries an air of professionalism. Talking to her yesterday, I find her also very amusing and funny, and I must say that when I first met her in Jakarta 2 months ago, I had this unexplained feeling of fondness, the one I have (immediately) everytime I feel I've found an ally.

Dot is also a passionate music organiser/maker/lover, and I can sense that her presence in Indonesia is really heaven-sent. For 2 years now I have been trying to find a partner and although so many people expressed their interest in doing concert/artists management, I always end up working alone. In classical music, I find that so many factors are just so important in finding an associate. He/she must be as passionate about the music, as care about the people, as good in the technical aspects and as tough when it comes to the stinkiest part of the job: fundraising. Moreover, it is great to have someone who share the same values toward the whole process, i.e optimism, perseverence, persistency, and (hard) labor.

So, Dot and I are going to work on the next season of Chamber Music Series, and she came yesterday to discuss the details of our work. The discussion was one of the most fruitful in my life where we covered a lot of grounds. The great thing about it was that with her, I feel so much at ease and from the outset we seemed to be talking the same language. I was very happy. She wrote to me yesterday saying that she enjoyed our discussion and conversation and was looking forward to working things out.

I must say that I am so grateful that God sent her to my life (in fact, I wrote that down in my gratitude journal). Although sadly she will only stay until next year, but from a narcistic point of view I would say that she's here to help me. And what I know for sure now is that all will come in good time. No need to rush things, because they ultimately come whenever we need them most.  


(Imported old blog, originally written on October 16, 2008)