Friday 4 December 2009

Living in the Cyberworld

During the past 6 months I spend more and more time working in front of the computer and dealing with parallel worlds with time differences, and this week I thought that maybe sometime I will go back living life like it was 10 years ago, meaning visiting people instead of calling or texting them, sending paper-based letters instead of writing electronic mails (I know it's not environmentally friendly, but it sure is mentally), and having a chat with somebody over coffee and not over cables or wires.  

This need of talking to somebody whose physical form actually presents before my very eyes seemed so trivial years ago, as all (good) friends were nearby. l never thought that life could change so much and suddenly my all-season friends are not around me anymore. People said that true friendship knows no distance. Somehow it's true, but only to a certain limit of time and space.

I miss having a smart, physical conversation. I don't hate the internet. I am grateful for all those instant messengers. It actually makes long-distance relationship more bearable and sensible. But nothing could ever replace that ringing laughter, the intelligence in looking through someone's eyes and read what's behind them, the pauses between words, the giggles over something funny that only two people with minds alike can share, the chemistry in the air, and the sensation that somehow we are not alone.   


(Imported old blog, originally written on April 17, 2008)