Thursday 3 December 2009

Being with the Boys...

is  one of the things that remedies all the difficulties of bringing good music to a concert hall. We met at the motorway gate right outside Bandung and I got this heart-warming feeling when I saw them again. Simon was introduced to me and I can see directly that he has added more dynamics to the Quartet's life. Some highlights were that the 3 of them are engaged to be married and Jonny started the whole thing. Simon speaks German and French which we've tried and Alex is learning Mandarin Chinese (good luck to that!).

The thing about them is that they're so refreshing to the soul and mind. Being a succesful young quartet who played serious music will make you think that they'll be talking about Haydn and Beethoven all the time. But guess what, they're not! Most of the time the conversation was about silly things and they love to mimic sounds of other people.

And basically they're warm and generous people at heart. They all supported my decision to study in England and John even suggested that the quartet wrote a reference letter.

I really hope that I'll have them again next year. It would be great to invite them for a camp sometime and spend more time with them. And it would certainly be good to train my British accent!

(Imported old blog, originally written on February 11, 2008)