Friday 4 December 2009

The Camp - Last Day

It's over.

There isn't any words that could describe my feeling today. I was so happy, seeing that what I do makes a big difference to a lot of people, but I felt just as miserable because after this I will have to live with debts (which I don't mind taking for such a good cause). On one side I'm so relieved that everything went so well, everybody was so keen and the kids are actually getting better, but on the other side I feel so grave because Sam, Damien and Lo are going back to Europe. During the last 10 days I had a really great time with them, having smart conversation with Sam, talking silly with Lo and laughing at and with Damien while watching the genius taught, and I know for sure I'm going to have a difficult time waking up each day not coming to his class and translating the lesson.

I had tears in my eyes today when Lo showed me a short letter from one of his pupils, Kiki. Kiki is a shy 20-year-old who plays without so much confidence, and Lo had changed him and gave him everything he needs. The boy was so grateful that he wrote such a simple yet beautiful letter (in Indonesian!), thanking him and hoping that Lo will be back. It was so heart-warming.

We had dinner today, a treat from the 3 faculty members, and when we said goodbye to each other some of them was kissing my hand in gratitude, some girls hugged me so tight and were almost sobbing. I can imagine their feeling; it was the same thing when I met Prof. Grossmann in Berlin, but then, knowing that I am the person that help them discover the joy of learning gives me an indescribable happiness.   

So I guess my mission is accomplished. It's time to move on with life now. I have to, because there will be more important things to come. I'm just gonna miss them all. 


(Imported old blog, written originally on July 12, 2008)