Friday 4 December 2009

A Little Break

I had a nice little break from the thoughts about the camp today.

Paul Janes, Rebecca Gilliver, and Shirly Laub were giving a superb concert (which review I didn't write since I my head was too crowded) last Tuesday, followed by a master class the day after. During their stay in Bandung, they realize, of course, that Bandung is a much nicer city than Jakarta, and I, always very eager to show them one of the most gorgeous city in the world, was very much 'yea' to the idea that Rebecca and Shirly's coming back to Bandung for a day excursion.

So I arranged stuffs and things fell in place. This morning we started at 8.30 and went straight to the mountain. It was a perfect start. The sun was shining, fresh breeze was blowing, and most of all the traffic couldn't be more agreeable.

They were really happy that we took that walk around the crater, and we talked a lot, which always made me feel so refreshed (especially the last couple of months when I didn't really talk). As always they have interesting, hillarious and amazing stories, and strangely I always find all of them very easy to talk to, despite their fame and accomplishments.

After spending about 2 hours walking, running out of breath, shopping and feeling very close to nature, we continued to visit a resort-cafe just downsouth. It was a fantastic place for me, since we all could sit very near to a rice field and dine in an open air. But Rebecca and Shirly just couldn't stop singing their praise about the place and how perfect everything was. The meal was great and all in all we had a successful lunch.

Then shopping again for Shirly's mum. The last stop was the minibus pool. They looked tired but happy, and I was so glad I took this one little break with these two great musicians and wonderful person. Organizing their concert was a treat of its own, with the beautiful music they play I really didn't mind all that trouble. But knowing each and everyone of them closely, learning a bit about their lives and their habits, just make the job as concert manager the best job in the world!

I realize one thing as I left them to go back to the clampy Jakarta. It was always good to go around the city with the foreigners. It makes me grateful for this beautiful country I live in. All these trees and the landscape that we take for granted are actually a blessing. And everywhere can be lovely, as long as you have your heart with you.

(Imported old blog, originally written on May 10, 2008)