Friday 4 December 2009

Living in the Cyberworld - continued

One thing about living in the cyber world is that somehow life's becoming more quiet. And it is also a consequence my birthday had to bear last week.

This year would probably be one of the quietest birthday in my life. The day began with mum and dad giving me a birthday hug in the morning, and then my bestfriend called to wish me all happiness and luck in life, then my brother and his family came by to have lunch with us. No party, of course, and strangely my phone gave me a cold shoulder. Some friends sent some SMS using standard birthday text or called, but there wasn't really that much commotion. I was beginning to wonder if the government has established May 18 as the national mute day.

As the day proceed there were no more bip-bip and ring-ring. I started to feel a bit gloomy and so decided to go out with my mum and dad to visit my grandma as not to nurse the blues. During the meal I kept on asking into thin air: where's everybody???

I guess until that day I didn't really aware how much I'm using the internet for nurturing my relationship with people, and that people was just doing what I did with them. That night I found that my birthday wishes was sent through e-mails and Facebook. I had to admit that it was more attractive, practical and economical since you can send pictures and videos and sending text from abroad is crazily expensive. I was thinking that though I personally prefer to call or text people on their birthday as it's more direct and personal, I might have not done that for the past few years. Which means that I will have to start to do that again.

Well, doesn't matter. I found what I was looking for, and was happy. Very happy, actually, because an unexpected person sent me a message with whom I flirted outrageously through IM. I secretly wished to hear his voice on the phone or even see him, but if we're twelve thousand miles away from each other, I couldn't care less if I just see his representation in the form of Tahoma font size 10. After all, that old blossoming sentiments felt just the same.

(Imported old blog, originally written on May 23, 2008)